My Thoughts on Intergender Wrestling

My Thoughts on Intergender Wrestling


A few weeks ago on Twitter, I ran a poll asking what the next topic for the blog should be. The majority voted for the topic of "Intergender Wrestling." So, today, I will be sharing with you all my thoughts on the subject.

In pro wrestling's earlier years, men would not wrestle women because it was seen as unfair. That was due to the fact that women were highly seen as being weaker than men. However, over the past two decades, it's become a lot more normal to see men and women wrestling each other.

Before I go any further, I have to talk about the woman that was a major pioneer in making intergender wrestling possible and such a success. We all know that woman by the name of Chyna. She debuted as HHH's bodyguard and had no problem stepping up to the men. Chyna became the first woman to win the Intercontinental Championship, qualify for King of the Ring, become #1 contender for the world title, and participate in the Royal Rumble.

Though many intergender matches have taken place in WWE's history, the company no longer really utilizes them. However, they happen very frequently in other promotions and in the independent circuit.

I first became interested in pro wrestling back in 2008 when I began watching WWE around the age of 10. By that time, intergender matches were rarely seen, so I had not seen very many of them. Over the past year, I have spent a lot of time watching WWE, in order, starting with the year 1997. I have also been watching Lucha Underground.

Watching both old WWE wrestling and Lucha Underground has piqued my interest in intergender wrestling. I thought it was really cool seeing Chyna fight male superstars and seeing women and men wrestle each other for the Hardcore Championship and the Cruiserweight Championship. With Lucha Underground, it's unique style makes it entertaining alone, but seeing how well the men and women work together, makes it even better. Some of the promotion's best matches have been intergender matches.

Much to nobody's surprise, the success of intergender wrestling hasn't come without much controversy. There are wrestling fans out that there that don't believe in intergender wrestling because it is similar to domestic violence or because the matches aren't realistic and believable. I don't see either one of those as true because I believe that intergender wrestling is truly a representation of equality among men and women.

In a world where women have been, and are still, seen as being less than men, I find intergender wrestling to be a good thing. It shows the world that women can compete with the men. Honestly, there are some women who are better wrestlers than some of the men. With that being the case, it just shows that, overall, not one gender is truly better than the other. That not only goes for pro wrestling, but for everything else in the world.

As I mentioned earlier, there have been intergender matches where the men and women have worked really well together. The matches seem to tell a story within themselves and you can tell that the wrestlers trust each other. I respect companies and promotions that choose to have them or not to have them because I'm just simply a fan of pro wrestling.

Intergender wrestling has played a major part in helping grow pro wrestling. I really look forward in seeing how well it continues to do in the future.

Let me know one of your favorite intergender wreslting matches in the comment section below!

One of mine: Tessa Blanchard vs Brian Cage (WrestleCircus) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itbdZuduPCU

Comments

  1. This post is so good! Way to point out the pros & cons while stating your own opinion. This topic is going to be stuck on my mind today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts